While I do love a good cook fest, with slow-roasted flavors floating through the house, sometimes there just isn’t enough time! So, while I “savor” my relaxing time in the kitchen on Sundays, during the week I need to get meals on the table quickly! Not only does my schedule require a complete meal in 20 minutes, but I also want it to be healthy and tasty.
Enter a nice slab of halibut and a bag of microwavable cauliflower.
I know, roasted cauliflower is supposed to have more flavor and doesn’t get as mushy, but it also takes more time. And, if you don’t go beyond the recommended cooking time on the bag, it won’t get mushy. Okay, so cauliflower is done in just under five minutes, which you can do as your halibut roasts.
The other great thing about this recipe is that it uses minimal ingredients but still has mega flavor. Lightly dress the halibut with crushed garlic, butter, salt, and pepper, and top it at the end with lime-cilantro butter. You could cut back on the fat even further by simply squeezing the lime juice with chopped cilantro on top of the fish. But, I’m a butter sort of gal. Besides, it’s not a lot considering the entire calorie content of the dish.
Speaking of calories, if you were looking to make this meal a little richer, try adding coconut milk to the sauce. Yum, now that would taste awesome! This meal will serve two hungry people, three who are really watching their intake. You can increase the proportions for the number of hungry bellies. Also, check out the Robert Sinskey Pinot Blanc for a perfect wine pairing!
So, here you go- healthy and tasty in under twenty minutes! (Fifteen if you’re really motivated).
- 1 Pound fresh halibut (about 1.5 inches thick)
- 1 Bag of microwavable cauliflower
- 3 cloves of crushed garlic
- Handful of cilantro
- Juice from one lime
- 1/4 Teaspoon curry powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 6 Pats of butter
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place halibut skin side down.
- Finely dice one pat of butter and place on the flesh side of fish.
- Salt and pepper to taste and rub on crushed garlic.
- Pop the fish into the oven, and while that beautiful piece of fish is cooking and getting all nice and flakey, (about 10 to 15 minutes), you can quickly finish the rest of the meal.
- Throw that bag of cauliflower in the microwave and nuke it for about four minutes.
- In a sauce pan, melt four tablespoons of butter and add lime juice.
- Toss in chopped cilantro and quickly lower the heat to avoid burning the butter.
- That cauliflower will be hot! So be careful opening the bag.
- Add the remaining butter, curry, salt, and pepper to cauliflower and mix.
- Put into a bowl and gently cut into smaller pieces.
- Remove the halibut from the oven and plate over cauliflower.
- Top with lime/cilantro butter. Add a few fresh leaves for garnish.
- Enjoy with our lovely Wine Wednesday pick, Robert Sinskey Vineyards Pinot Blanc.