Next week we will return to our regularly scheduled Wine Wednesday program with Post Road Liquors. Today, we are taking a spooky break to enjoy a little Halloween Sangria!
Sangria is a wine-based punch that can be enjoyed any time of the year. For Halloween, we wanted a nice deep red sangria- like the color of blood (evil laugh follows)! So, we went with the red wine version, plus a homemade berry-infused brandy for a little extra oomph! Cloves add a nice fall flavor. Don’t forget to grab some dry ice and all of a sudden you’ll look like a Halloween pro!
Bloody Good Sangria Recipe
- Two bottles of dry red wine
- 1 Cup of berry-infused brandy
- 1/2 Cup of brown sugar
- 1 1/3 Cup of orange juice
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 10 Whole cloves
- curled orange peels and dry ice for garnish
- In a saucepan simmer orange juice, lemon juice, brown sugar, and cloves. It might get a little foamy, but that’s just part of the Halloween fun!
- Once you can taste the cloves, remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Strain the cloves.
- Add wine, brandy, and citrus juice into a large punch bowl.
- I garnished with the berries from the brandy, plus curled orange peels. An adorable idea is dropping gummy worms over the sides. I was a little worried that might make it too sweet.
- Once your guest have arrived, add in the dry ice and let the spooky fun begin!