When I first made these cowboy cookies, the first question my 11- year-old asked was, “Why are they called cowboy cookies?” Good question – my answer? Because they are so hearty they could fuel a cowboy through a hard day of work on the range!
But we’re all cowboy’s in our own way, right? We’re taking care of kids, taking care of business, working out, and working hard.
These are the perfect healthy and satisfying snack to grab on the go and get you through the rest of your day. I also love to reward myself at the end of a busy day or give the kiddos a welcomed treat when they get home from school.
A big jumble of chocolate, nuts, coconut, and oats are so hearty and satisfying! These bad boys could even pass for a breakfast cookie in my house, which the kids always love! And, so do I! I’m just saying, they’re not bad with a cup of coffee. 🙂
While keeping all that cowboy deliciousness, I wanted to put a healthy spin on these cookies. So, we can eat a few more with a little less guilt. 😉
Cowboy Cookies- A Hearty Cookie Recipe
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill almond flour
- 3/4 cup sprouted wheat flour
- 1 cup coconut shreds (unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 (1 stick) cup unsalted organic butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup Lundberg Farms brown rice syrup
- 2 large eggs (room temp) Pete and Jens Backyard Birds
- 2 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups Bob’s Red Mill whole grain rolled oats
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup Guittard Chocolate dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Whisk dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Beat butter and coconut sugar in a standing mixer or with a hand mixer until fluffy.
- Add coconut oil, brown rice syrup, eggs, and vanilla and beat until well mixed.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in the mixer, and turn on that baby.
- Stir in oats, walnuts, and chocolate chips
- Using a large cookie scoop, push down tops of cookies lightly.
- Bake for about 11 minutes
- Yee-haw – Get ready for some hearty cookies!
The Impatient Mother
The Impatient Mother (Christie Bigelow, 36) is a mom of 3 (11, 2, and 11 months). She’s on a mission to make nutritious food for her family and herself, usually with limited time and sometimes limited ingredients!
Fast, simple, delicious, and flexible is the name of the game… that and time optimization.
From baby food, on up to toddler, teen, and husband, she has a wide range of mouths to feed and is constantly coming up with creative ways to get the best stuff into the people she loves.
Christie shares many of her tips and tricks for things like getting veggies into kids, cooking with whole foods, and baking with nutrient dense ingredients on her Instagram feed and will soon be launching her own blog.
Foodies and mom’s alike, be sure to follow her on Instagram @theimpatientmother and stay tuned for the blog.