This recipe was originally posted on March 14th 2017
If you live in New England, chances are it’s all blizzardy outside of your window right now. And so, a warm bowl of soup might be just what your belly is craving. But, we’re here to declare soups aren’t just for the winter!
After this week, New England will hopefully wave a big good bye to winter storms and cold weather and give a big warm welcome to crocuses and tiny little green buds. So, please don’t rule out soups as part of a healthy spring diet, as we have lots of yummy soup recipes on the way!
We have to be honest, we were a little extra motivated to go into soup-making mode, because during a little pre-spring cleaning, Jess discovered this amazing soup blender from Cuisinart tucked away in her basement.
This bad boy not only cooks and stirs all of the ingredients, but also blends them to nice creamy consistency! We love that it eliminates some of the mess. But, if you don’t have this handy-dandy machine, then there’s nothing wrong with the old fashioned soup making way of simmering and blending.
So, what type of soup do we have in the “cauldron” this week? How about a lovely celery horseradish soup? We know, it doesn’t sound particularly appetizing. But, it definitely is! Especially, when we tossed in some chicken breast and took a piece of cheesy garlic bread for a swim in the flavorful soup! And, as we head into the spring, celery is the perfect centerpiece for soup. The horseradish gives it a major kick, cutting back on the need for things like butter or cream.
- 1 sweet onion
- 1 package of celery (cleaned and green tops removed) NOTE: You might want to save a few greens to garnish the soup.
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons of horseradish
- teaspoon of pepper
- 1 tablespoon of better than bullion (chicken, beef or vegetable- your choice!)
- 1 peeled potato
- a few dashes of olive oil
- 3 cups of water
- optional ingredients- chopped chicken breast, sour cream, and cilantro
- Peel the potato. The potato will help to thicken the soup without adding cream or flour.
- Roughly chop the vegetables and toss everything into a bowl with the pepper, horseradish, bullion, and olive oil.
- Boil 3 cups of water.
- Once the water is boiling, toss in the vegetables.
- Lower heat to medium and allow to simmer until vegetables are nice and soft.
- Once everything is cooked, blend until completely smooth.
- Pour soup into your favorite bowl and cup.
- To make it into a meal, top with chicken breast, sour cream, and cilantro. NOTE: If you don’t like cilantro, feel free to use the celery greens as a garnish. We used light sour cream and it was delightful!
- Make homemade cheesy garlic bread (or you can just use Wegman’s like we did).
- Sit in your favorite seat or table and enjoy!