What’s the first thing you think of when you think “granola”? Crunchy? Hippie? How about FABULOUS????
After you make this stuff, you’ll be thinking that last word. This granola is easy to make, packed with nutrition, and makes the whole house smell amazing while it’s being made.
It’s also packed with vitamins, nutrients, and healthy fats to fuel you through your day or night AND it has no refined sugar in it. I like making my own because so many granolas on the grocery store shelves are either loaded with refined sugar or the “good” ones can be pricey. And, don’t be fooled by the packaging! If you choose to buy, make sure you read the fine print in the ingredient list!
This tasty snack is always great to have on hand in the house. So, when I get my granola going, it’s in a big batch! I then store it in an airtight container, so I have it on hand to put over yogurt, ice cream (if you’re feeling naughty!), or even just to eat as a snack by the handful when I’m pressed for time (which is pretty much always)! It’s also a high protein snack for the kids and the hubs too.
I know making your own granola can seem daunting and time-consuming. Being four months pregnant and managing three other children (11 months, 2 months, and 11 years), I’m a woman who very rarely has a spare second! But, having a big batch of this golden treat actually saves me time. Even better, I have the piece of mind knowing that my family is eating the best stuff possible when it comes to granola. And I always have a yummy snack on hand for myself.
Whether you think hippie, crunchy, or FABULOUS, try making this granola! You just may never buy another bag again.
Maple Nut Granola Recipe
What You Need
- 2 cups rolled oats (I like Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup chopped roasted, unsalted almonds
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup hemp hearts (I like Manitoba)
- 1/3 cup flax meal
- 1/3 cup coconut flakes
- 1/3 cup wheat germ
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup honey (I like raw honey) – if you are in a pinch, you could use brown rice syrup… I had to this am!
What You Do
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix nuts, oats, hemp hearts, flax meal, coconut flakes, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl.
- Melt the coconut oil before in a measuring cup (microwave it).
- Add that, maple syrup, and honey to a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, remove from heat and pour over the dry ingredients.
- Mix well and then spread on a large baking sheet in one thin layer.
- Bake for about 23 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before scraping up the granola with a spatula. You’ll get some nice good, big chunks!
- Put into an airtight container and enjoy over the next few weeks!
The Impatient Mother (Christie Bigelow, 36) is a mom of 3 (11, 2, and 11 months). She’s on a mission to make nutritious food for her family and herself, usually with limited time and sometimes limited ingredients!
Fast, simple, delicious, and flexible is the name of the game… that and time optimization.
From baby food, on up to toddler, teen, and husband, she has a wide range of mouths to feed and is constantly coming up with creative ways to get the best stuff into the people she loves.
Christie shares many of her tips and tricks for things like getting veggies into kids, cooking with whole foods, and baking with nutrient dense ingredients on her Instagram feed and will soon be launching her own blog.
Foodies and mom’s alike, be sure to follow her on Instagram @theimpatientmother and stay tuned for the blog.