Recently, the lovely Mia Andreoli took us on a tequila tour. (Be sure to look for the upcoming video.) We first learned about the purest form of the distilled blue agave – tequila blanco.
Tequila blanco, silver, or platinum (all meaning the same thing) are great for making cocktails! It’s sort of like a premium vodka in that there aren’t too many overpowering flavors. And just like vodka, silver tequila is seriously tasty with grapefruit! Miss Mia came up with a wonderful spicy riff on a Paloma for us to include in our Cinco de May cocktail lineup! Not only is the drink chuggable, but it is also extremely attractive and very festive. We also have a non-alcoholic modification at the end.
The Spicy Paloma
- 2 Ounces tequila blanco
- 1 Ounce fresh grapefruit (red if you can squeeze it ;))
- 1/2 Ounce lime
- 1 Tablespoon jalapeno simple syrup (Made by reducing and straining chopped jalapeno, sugar, and water)
- Champagne, cava, or prosecco
- Thinly sliced limes
- Fill a tall glass with ice.
- Line the outer sides with thin lime slices.
- Mix tequila, grapefruit, lime juice, and simple syrup.
- Pour over ice.
- Top with bubbles of your choice!
If you need to slow down the tequila train, you can top with soda water or even omit the tequila too. This is a great non-alcoholic drink to help designated drivers, moms-to-be etc., still feel festive!