I know it sounds intimidating. A tuna ceviche recipe even sounded intimidating to me. Raw fish? Hmmm. But, after our recent Tequila 101 food and Tequila pairing video, I felt the need to prove my Tequila-pairing worth. What better way than to join a popular south-of-the-border dish with the soft and beautiful Codigo 1530 Tequila Rosa. (Yes, I just called a Tequila soft and beautiful.)
This 100% Tequila is lovingly made and then aged in uncharred Cabernet French white oak barrels for 30 days. This is just long enough to impart a soft floral note to the Tequila. I’m pretty sure it was begging to go on a date with some homemade ceviche. And, after all, I had made ceviche once before. So, I went for it.
Guess what, it wasn’t hard, and it ended up being pretty awesome. As a bonus, an average ceviche dish has about 200 calories. Paired with the Codigo 1530 Tequila Rosa’s only 61 calories, I could have seconds on both and not feel guilty. 😉
Tuna Ceviche Recipe
- 1 Lb. ahi style tuna (always available at Wegman’s)
- 1/4 Cup fresh cilantro
- 1/2 Perfectly ripe avocado
- 1 Minced garlic clove
- 1/4 Thinly chopped jalapeno
- 1/2 Cup of finely chopped pineapple (and a little bit of the juice)
- About 2 tablespoons of minced green onions
- Juice from 1/2 a lime
- Juice from 1/2 a grapefruit
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons of ginger & honey vinegar. (If you can’t find this, you can use any vinegar that is on the sweeter side. But, consider mincing a piece of fresh ginger)
- 1/4 Teaspoon of lime oil (optional)
- Put the tuna in the freezer while you prepare the vinaigrette. This makes it easier to dice.
- In a bowl, add the vinegar, lime juice, grapefruit juice, olive oil, lime oil, garlic, green onions, and jalapeno.
- Chop the tuna into one-inch cubes and toss into the vinaigrette. Stir up all of those tasty flavors. You’ll immediately notice the tuna start to turn color as it “cooks.”
- Add the cilantro and pineapple, continuing to stir. I also added a little of the pineapple juice, just to sweeten the deal.
- Carefully fold in the avocado.
- There, you did it! Now that wasn’t that bad at all. And guess what – it is spectacular!
- Now, pour yourself a glass of the Codigo 1530 Tequila Rosa. Let that soft heat from the Tequila mingle with the spicy sweetness of the ceviche. Also, mix yourself our Saucy Peach Cocktail, and experience a different level of flavor-paring happiness! Cheers to you and National Tequila Day!
Tequila Codigo 1530 is now available at these Massachusetts Liquor Stores:
Dover Wine Company
16 Springdale Ave
Dover, mA 02030
The Wine Cellar of Stoneham
85 Cedar St
Stoneham, MA 02180
RWJ Beverage (Located In BJs)
6 Hutchinson Dr
Danvers, MA 01923
Hatches Package Store
133 Orange St
Nantucket, MA 02554
Gordon’s Liquor Stores
39 Temple Pl, Boston, MA 02111
894 Main St, Waltham, MA 02451